Perry Marshall & Mike Rhodes – Google Ads Mastery
|Google Ads Mastery 2019-2020
Bad News: If you thought you could just keep your head down & your nose clean, and get great results based on “sound principles of direct marketing” …think again.
If you are advertising on Google based purely on the help Google offers you… or on the advice of Google Reps or your agency… then you are marching into severest battle armed with plastic sword and helmet.
But Here’s the Good News: Not only has Google’s AI gone from JOKE to serious new capabilities… even if you’re not using Google Ads AT ALL, you should probably start now, just to take advantage of Google’s AI.
Google Ads Mastery is underway, but it’s not too late to join us!
Dear Marketing Professional:
If you are spending more than $1000/month on Google Ads then innumerable NEW gains, efficiencies, advantages and strategies are now available to you. But only if you synchronize with the new moves.
And if you’re an AdWords veteran, sit up and listen because a target is painted on your head and a sharpshooter has you in his sights:
– All advertisers are consciously being manipulated, very deliberately by Google. Dark patterns exist. You often have to unplug your natural tendencies to make good choices. The new interface is an example.
If you are an agency managing Google Ads for others, then to not take this course would be irresponsible management of other peoples’ money.
The modest $1000-$2500 investment in Google Ads Mastery will pay for itself over and over and over again. If you’re spending many thousands or tens of thousands a month, it will pay for itself monthly… maybe even weekly.
Mike Rhodes runs the largest Google Ads agency in Australia and is co-author of Ultimate Guide to Google AdWords with me. This is the #1 selling book on Google advertising and Mike and I are the most trusted truth-tellers in the Google advertising space.
Google Ads Mastery comes in six modules:
Module #1: Search:
Module #2: Google Shopping:
Module #3: Display & Remarketing:
Module #4: Youtube & Gmail:
Module #5: Tracking
Module #6: Optimizing campaigns in 2019:
Once again I cannot over-emphasize how confiscatory Google’s approach to customers is. It is NOTHING like a partnership or trusted agreement or fiduciary relationship. It is an all-out power grab (like the tax department when your state or province is nearly bankrupt and they’ll grab ANY money they can get for ANY reason)
– Be VERY careful on the phone with Google. Every rep has a hidden agenda! Be especially careful with the alarmist claims they use to get you on the phone.
– Be WARY whenever automated changes are made to your account. Google is getting grabby on that front.
– Be careful to keep ad testing. It matters greatly, and Google wants to take that away from you. This is the advertiser’s equivalent of Free Speech (which is more threatened now than any time in the last 50 years.)
– Google reps are trained to believe that they know what’s good for you. They’re trained to look down on maverick advertisers who maintain their independence, and even feel sorry for you because you don’t listen to the advice they are offering. DO NOT FALL FOR IT.
– Be careful with smart bidding. It’s not that smart. Seasonality, lapses in data, site downtime — they all can really hurt you with smart bidding. Phone calls may matter to you. Lifetime value may matter to you. Revenue and average order value certainly matter to you. Conversion based bidding fails hard in all those regards, and revenue-based bidding is far from being perfected.
– Be careful when it comes to attribution. Google’s by default changing it on you. You need to know what a conversion means. Did Google change the definition of a conversion on you? You can only compare apples to apples, and that’s one major issue if it has changed.
– Remember, Google Ads (AdWords) conversions are only one way of looking at success; Google Analytics offers many other views, and all are valid, and you should probably look at success via several views. Google Analytics is as powerful as ever these days.
You are dealing with all of the ADVANTAGES and DISADVANTAGES of a technocracy. Google Ads is a complex civilization run by a combination of robots and bureaucrats.
First mover advantage with new ad features once had large benefits, like with getting access to and adopting betas. There are times that’s still true, like with expanded ad copy fields, but overall that’s far less true today. You need to focus on the regions that we’ve discovered give you the most control.
Google has taken the wide, long-term view on this, and in many ways control matters more than money (spend) at this point to Google.
Agencies were once judged on the amount of spend they governed; now they’re judged on how adoption rates of Google’s most central (and often most nefarious) like smart bidding, ad rotation, attribution, and who writes copy.
Google has been buying AI companies the way a No-Carbs Dieter consumes potato chips and cheesecake on their cheat day. AI is tremendously hard to pull off (especially in advertising!!!!) but Google has tremendously upped their game in the last 3 months and serious AI advantages are available to you when you properly test Responsive Ad technology.
If you have never used AdWords, or abandoned AdWords for Facebook a long time ago, you may want to come back to AdWords because of the power of AI and Responsive Ad technology.
It is incredibly powerful when you use it correctly.